Matcha already has a tradition of more than 900 years in Japan. But also in the modern kitchen this green tea powder is increasingly used in recipes like matcha waffles, cakes, muffins and pancakes. In this blog we share more about Matcha and the recipe of the Matcha pancakes, including a Vegan recipe!
Matcha already has a tradition of more than 400 years in the Japanese tea ceremony. This green tea powder is also being used more and more in the modern kitchen. Now this green powder is also conquering Europe. Matcha gives a bittersweet taste including desserts, ice cream and smoothies. We would like to show everyone what you can do with Matcha: a healthy breakfast, various savory dishes and a wide assortment of sweet treats and baked goods, thanks to Superfood Matcha even slightly healthy!
In our matcha bar in the Hague (the Netherlands) we have a menu card fully focused on matcha. We offer, among other things, the Matcha teashot, latte, smoothie and freakshake and serve Matcha cake, macarons, blondie, blissballs. In addition, we also serve various variants of matcha waffles and pancakes for lunch:
MATCHA PANCAKES RECIPE
Requirements (for 10-12 small pancakes):
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g of sugar
- 1 packet of vanilla-flavored sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50g butter
- Cooking Matcha (grade C)
- Mix the eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla sugar into a smooth batter
- Add the Matcha to the batter and mix it well (the color and taste depends on the quality of the Matcha.) We used the Cooking Matcha C and it was perfect for the color and gives a good bittersweet Matcha flavor)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat Add the butter to the batter and mix well
- Now the batter is ready to bake! Use a thin frying pan or special pancakes or poffertjes pan.
- P.S. Make sure that the pancakes are not baked too far (brown), because then it loses the beautiful green color more quickly.
For the veggies among us … There is also a VEGAN variant of Matcha pancakes.
- 350ml of soy milk or almond milk
- 70g (grinded) oatmeal
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp. Of cinnamon
- 1 spoon Cooking Matcha
- Add almond or soy milk, oatmeal (possibly ground in food processor) and a mashed banana to a bowl and mix well with each other.
- Add the honey, cinnamon and about 1 tablespoon of Matcha to this batter.
- Mix this well together until it is a nice green batter.
- Now the batter is ready to bake!
- Use a thin frying pan or special pancakes or poffertjes pan.
- P.S. Make sure that the pancakes are not too far (brown) baked, because then it loses rather the beautiful green color. In our matcha bar in The Hague we serve various variants of matcha pancakes:
We will regularly share Matcha recipes with you. If you have a nice recipe with Matcha, then we think it’s great if you share this with us. Send a message to: email@example.com. We like to inspire you, but also inspire us by other Matcha and cooking enthusiasts!
LET’S SPREAD THE MATCHA LOVE!
Claire & Lisa – The Tea Sisters